Now
I often think of a simple RD Laing poem (?) that I read back in high school or 8th grade:
Now, if not forever, is sometimes better than never.
I like it for several reasons. It's good to focus on the present, on the now. To not get bogged down with future expectations. And sometimes those future expectations can paralyze us. Or we can think why bother because it won't always be that way. Which is what Laing was saying. It might not always be this way, but better to experience it for even a short time than to never have experienced it at all.
Today I went snorkelling with M. We both hadn't been in a really long time and it's something we both really enjoy. We laughed and chastized ourselves for living 10 minutes from great snorkelling but how hard it seems to make the time to do it. Both of us seem to lose ourselves in our work. It was a particularly good day. I saw fish I'd never seen before. And there were schools of thousands of tiny, shiny silver fish. For awhile I just floated there with them and let the waves jostle us around and really thought "Now". It was a perfect now moment where I was totally in the moment of pure enjoyment and awe. It didn't matter what would happen in the future. I forgot all my stress about getting everything done and packing and all the apprehension about going back to the U$. I was just there floating with the fish.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home