X!ne's W0rld

My life as it happens. Moving from the Big City to south of the border.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Life As a Freelancer

For the past couple of months I've been busy with photography work that was booked several months in advance. It was a good feeling to know that I'd have money coming in. Once I shot my last wedding on the 15th, I was able to breathe for a minute (although I'm still editing the last 2 weddings).

But then a completely empty schedule lay ahead of me. Not one booked job on the horizon. Sure I had inquiries, but nothing concrete. I started to feel worried again. And there were a few items I felt I should be purchasing...like health insurance which somehow always finds its place at the bottom of my list. It's been over a year that I've been here and almost a year and a half since Corporate America and I parted company. But I was there for the majority of my working life and I'm still used to having a steady job.

I guess I should have trusted in my horoscope that said something about my work situation becoming grounded. Today I got an email for a family portrait toward the end of next month and am about to finalize on a wedding for Dec 30th. I will be sad to be here and away from family for the holidays but at least I will have some money that will take me through the month of January.

So often lately, I ask myself "Who am I?" I feel adrift and am really looking for what I want in life. I'm not putting myself 100% into my work but sometimes I think that's ok because even though now I like my work, life shouldn't be all about work. I have noticed huge improvements in my Spanish recently and that's thrilling. And more and more, I'm feeling like I really love Mexico and am happy to live here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home