X!ne's W0rld

My life as it happens. Moving from the Big City to south of the border.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

My First Tear Sheet



The Vallarta Tribune seems to be the most well-known English language newspaper here. As luck would have it, a writer is a good friend of Bruce who owns the restaurant where I often hang out and where Alden works. She had taken some photos for an article but needed more. Alden called me and told me to rush over ("Take a cab, we'll pay for it!") with whatever I'd taken previously. What I had wasn't really applicable because they were before the place opened. But I took a few more shots and emailed them out to her.



This edition comes out today. There's no pay involved and it's not exactly my usual type of photography but it's a start. A tear sheet (which is what it's called when you can show you've been published in a newspaper or magazine) is very important to a photographer. And what might be even more important is that now I have a contact at the paper and she uses submitted photos on the cover which is a big color image (as you can see). I submitted some to her from the kindergarden parade and she liked those too -- maybe for next week's cover? We'll have to wait and see.

Another lead came up last night as I was having quesadillas from my favorite stand at 11:30pm (which is when they open). I got to talking with thee guy in front of me in line and it turns out that he is the general manager for one of the most prestigious restaurants here. I mentioned to him that I was looking for photography work, mostly weddings but other stuff too, and he mentioned that they put on weddings at the restaurant. I'm supposed to go talk with him today about possibilities. Once again, we'll have to wait and see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home