Rant: Taxes
I should be happy I'm getting back tax money. But I'm really pissed off. I used an accountant to prepare my taxes for the first year in my life. I figured that since I am itemizing deductions for the first time ever (well, I sort of did last year with Turbo Tax but it was simple - that was a very pleasant experience), I'd need some professional help. But after going over it today with the assistant, I realized they didn't do anything I couldn't have done myself with Turbo Tax. These days you can e-file and have your return deposited directly into an account so there's no need to even be in the country and you can do it yourself. And here it is March 24th and they won't even submit my taxes until they receive their $250 payment. $250 includes a fee to e-file and filling out the schedules. Supposedly they completed this on March 11th, but only after several nagging phone calls did I get the info from them and finalize this today nearly 2 weeks later.
And another thing: I only worked half the year and had nearly $10,000 worth of deductions. I thought surely I'd be getting more back. But it's only about $1,300 more than I got back last year. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I thought it would be more than that.
Oh well, at least I can pay off my lawyer and some other expenses and have a little left over. I used to aspire to buy a television with it, but I think I've decided that for now I don't want a television. My time is full enough as it is and although I'd like one to listen to Spanish, I know I'd end up putting it on and vegging out. I don't need that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home