X!ne's W0rld

My life as it happens. Moving from the Big City to south of the border.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

How Much?

Recently I've been a bit stressed out over photography. No, not the equipment. No, not the shooting. But the pricing.

It seems every few days I have some inquiry about shooting a wedding. Some are straight forward and in V@llarta. Others require travel to other nearby locations. There are also family portrait inquiries and even one to shoot a group of sales people at a convention (a challenge there is to procure risers to pose 200 people on for a big group photo). Obviously I want to cover my expenses *and* make a profit. But the question is always: how much is too much that the client won't be interested in me and how much is not enough where I'm short-changing myself?

I have an idea of what other photographers charge and I've started putting together data about how much time and expense is involved. These are the basics. With each wedding, I've charged more and I really believe that my work is worth more still. But I don't want to cross the line and have people rule me out because I'm just a little too expensive.

I think I need to keep reminding myself that in less than a year here, I've been able to do a complete career change into something I dreamed about and am now supporting myself doing it full-time. Maybe I shouldn't try to push too hard to get even more money and should just establish a moderate price and go with that for awhile. The best thing really is to have a few packages to offer so that those who can and want to pay more will, yet I can maintain my bottom line.

Agonizing about it kept me inside in front of the computer procrastinating all day. I could have been out snorkelling (like I did last night - AMAZING!) or visiting a nearby town in the mountains that's cooler than here. I need to respond to pending emails and be done. I'm not only here to establish a business!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home