Mahi Mahi

We've all heard the name (which in Hawaiian means "strong strong"), but today is the first time I've ever seen one up close. Wish I had seen it alive swimming in the water, but unfortunately I think its beauty is appreciated up close and in the sunlight.
M. and I had breakfast on the beach in Mi$maloya this morning and some fishermen were displaying the fish they caught. Mi$maloya is where they filmed Night of the Iguana back in 1964. Its filming was what started people coming to the Va11arta area and they haven't stopped. The beach is pretty much destroyed now with a huge condo complex, huge hotel, receding beach, tacky restaurants, and an overabundance of beach vendors. Fortunately the surrounding hills are still pretty undeveloped so there's still a lot of beauty in the area (including that river we went skinny dipping in which empties into the ocean). But you know, overdeveloped/tacky/exploited Mexico is still more beautiful than many places in the world. Sitting under an umbrella with our feet in the sand, staring at the blue ocean in December -- life is good.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home