Back in the US
I arrived back in eNYC at nearly midnight on Tuesday. It was a grueling day with the cats in their carriers for 12.5 hours. They were great though. Just a little crying here and there.
My perceptions so far:
1. The US is really "every man for himself" and "get out of my way" and "keep moving or I'll walk right over you". Not just eNYC either. In Mexxico, an airline worker helped me on the plane with my cats. In the US, I was told there was no help available. Ok, I did have some helpful people (a skycap originally from Ethiopia in Denver was very nice). But the difference between the cultures is interesting. Mexxico is slower and more helpful. Even the hardass people have a softer side to them. And eNYC just exemplifies the opposite with people practically knocking me out of the way to get ahead in line for a taxi.
2. eNYC is so packed with people and fast moving. It's frenetic. Which is cool in a way but I wonder if I will adjust or get tired. I forgot how fast moving it is. And I'm not talking midtown or Grand Central at rush hour either. Just generally, even here in Queens where I'm staying.
3. I feel like a rat in a cage. All the concrete and being in a little apartment (which isn't little at all compared to any I've lived in) on a higher floor. I long for my ground level home with a patio and garden.
I've had great food so far and have started to catch up with friends. But my suitcases are in disarray, I have no phone, and I don't feel settled. It's hard to even take the time to write this because I'm using someone else's computer. Ok, today is only Day 2 and I need to cut myself a little slack. Just need to prioritize what needs to get done. Hasta pronto.

1 Comments:
How are you adjusting back to New Yorker life? :)
Post a Comment
<< Home