Editing Hell
As a procrastinator, I wait until the last minute, until the threat is so great, and then I act. I've been back in Va11arta for almost 2 months now and soon after I got back, I had lots of weddings booked. It *was* a bit of an experiment to see if I could shoot so much in such a short time-frame. I was concerned and rightly so. I've definitely learned that I need to do a few things differently:
1. I cannot book weddings, especially so many, so soon after I get back from a long absence. I had no idea how much time I'd need to unpack all the booty I brought back, wash all the clothing/bedding/curtains that got moldy despite my best efforts to pack them away, clean up all the dust and dirt, get the utilities all hooked up and functioning, and re-adjust to being back here. I only had 2 full days to do that before I started shooting; that can't happen again unless I book less.
2. I have to look for an employee to edit. I love shooting, I love creating the slideshows, and I love tweaking key images. But the slogging through an average of 1100 images to pick out the best ones and then the 2nd round of slogging through to crop, lighten, convert to B&W, etc. kills me.
3. Along these lines, it dawned on me this morning that I need to think bigger about my business. Part of that is having a dedicated office/studio space and at least one employee to edit. And if I could hire someone I like and have fun being around, I'd like that too and it would help alleviate the isolation I feel as a solo business owner. I miss the social interaction that I was so used to in the office world. Not to mention that I have very little business scheduled going forward so maybe it's time to really think about some marketing. On top of that, sadly I've missed a deadline to enter my work in an important photo contest that if I'd won or at least been mentioned, I could have also boosted my visibility and potentially attracted more clients. But I've been too slogged down in the stupid editing.
The upside? I feel like my photography has really improved and I'm feeling much more confident about my work. I have great equipment and I feel really confident using it (although I still don't feel like I always have 100% control...but will I ever?). And this translates into my other photos as well.
One of the best things I did was purchase a software program to produce slideshows created by a fellow wedding photographer.
Here are a couple of the latest:
Beth and Carl (Beth and her sister were my best friends in high school)
Tara and Justin
Leila and Jeff
Jessica and Tim
(The music is the same on the first 2 but very different couples, both from Texxas though. Please let me know if you have any issues viewing these.)
I should have had all this and more edited well before Christmas. I've made good progress since I put my energy into it and not into staying out all night partying (well, I did that last Saturday and lost my voice but it's been less of a regular occurrence that it had become).
But part of me thinks I'm still burn-out and tired from all those years in Corporate America. I don't seem to have the energy or desire to work so hard. I don't know if it's being here in Mexxico or what. 2.5 years after leaving that world and I'm still adjusting.

3 Comments:
Xine
Love your photo's...great work.
Happy Holidays.
Need to send u some photo's of Hannah, I have one I took right after she was pulled out of Ang, great shot...I love it, Hannah is screaming with her fists clenched.
D from Hoboken.
Awesome photos! Everything worked fine except the first slideshow did not automatically start like the other three.
HUGS and HAPPY CHRISTMAS!
Er - this is J not W - W must still be logged in on this computer. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home