X!ne's W0rld

My life as it happens. Moving from the Big City to south of the border.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Decision Made


Ever since K^rt posted his comment saying I should take the larger, more expensive, penthouse apartment, I've been obsessing about it. The more people I spoke to, the more who encouraged me to go for it. I texted the owner yesterday to see if I could see it again and he said he wasn't around, but to contact him today. In the meantime, I called a friend here and confirmed the price on her dining set she's looking to get rid of as she's about to go to her native Bo1ivia for 6 weeks and wants to get rid of stuff and find a new place when she gets back. I really started seeing myself living in that place, high up and looking out over all of Va11arta.

But today when I texted the owner to see if I could see the apartment again, his response was that it had already been rented. Hmmm...I texted him back (in Spanish): Yes? Really? Since yesterday? What a shame! I've been dreaming about living in that apartment for 2 days. He replied that he was sorry, that he didn't know that his brother had already rented it out to someone. I'm a bit skeptical, but whatever the case, the decision has been made for me and now at least I know for sure where I will be living.

If you look at the photo above, you'll see a patch of green with some stairs running up and down, almost in the middle. To the right of that, you'll see a 3-story white building with some purple and pale green accents on the roof. You can also see a little red and white sign with yellow and black lettering hanging in the window of the apartment on the top floor to the right. That's my new apartment.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. But I do think things happen for a reason. The experience has made me realize (once again) that I tend to be very frugal and cautious financially. I definitely have money issues having grown up relatively poor. I don't have a family with money to help out if something should happen or if I should want to buy an apartment or anything else. This has also made me think about how live my life a little "small" and always look for cheap places. After thinking about all of this more, I felt by taking the more expensive yet fabulous place would have done a lot for my esteem. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a little bit more for a better quality of life. I'm still doing that by moving into the other place which is more expensive than I'm paying now. I think what I need to do is since I was ready to spend $150 more per month than I will be spending, not to mention the cost for furniture, I should think about using at least part of that to invest in some nice things for the place (furniture, sheets, TV?) or to use towards a little trip or 2 out of Va11arta. I have a wedding coming up in October on the C@ncun side and want to extend that to a longer trip to explore that part of Mexxico which I've never been to before. One thing I really want to do is get refreshed in my scuba diving and do at least a dive or 2 while I'm over there.

Anyway, I think I will plan to move next Tuesday if the moving guys are free. I've already made some decent progress on packing and I know with a deadline, things will move faster. I continue to pull things out from under the bed and in closets and dust it all off and am both disgusted by how dirty things get in this town and happy that I'm cleaning it all up and will have a fresh, clean start elsewhere. And when I look at the piles of stuff all over my completely inadequate desk space, I feel happy to think that in the new place I'll have room to spread out and more space for furniture like a filing cabinet that will help me get more organized and have a better work space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home