X!ne's W0rld

My life as it happens. Moving from the Big City to south of the border.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Wrong Place?

Finally made some progress on the new "professional" blog tonight. I had hoped to get it launched 2 weeks ago but then malaise, gastritis, and unbearable temperatures set in. Sometimes I wonder how I get anything done here. And am amazed to think how much I used to get done before I moved here.

So I'm back to thinking this is not the place for me. I just find myself so angry and annoyed with most people I have met and know (especially but not exclusively my fellow foreigners). I know it's not productive and only draws more negative energy to me. And I don't want to be simplistic and blame my unhappiness on a place. But my experience has shown that some places are not for me and just plain make me unhappy. Some of it has been circumstance, but I think you either jibe with a place or you don't.

When I am in eNYC, I feel at ease. It's a place I like and a place I respect. I remember when I first came here and saw all the tacky tourist stores and thought, "Can I live in a place like this?" It's not to say there's nothing good about living here; there are many great things. But the overall vibe doesn't seem to sit right with me. And I don't feel like I fit in outside of gay clubs and even that connection is tenuous, especially these days when I'm more focused on being in my relationship. I think back to R0chester and especially my home town and think of the years of struggle (especially in my hometown). I left both places to go to eNYC and once back there, I felt like a puzzle piece finally back in its place.

It's a weird feeling to feel like I can't imagine living back in the States but then also feeling like maybe it's the place where I'd feel happiest and most comfortable. I changed a lot of variables by moving here, so it's hard to pick out which are the important ones. J. and I are talking about moving to Playa del C@rmen in a few months. I like the idea of us starting a new adventure together and I keep thinking that it can't be worse than Va11arta and has the potential to be better (closer/direct flight to eNYC, younger, more European, more spiritual/focus on nature, easier to travel to other countries [Cuba, Belize, Guatemala]. It would also help me determine if the problem is just Va11arta or maybe Mexxico in general.

But for now the focus needs to be finding work.

2 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger rebecca said...

I just read a quote from Roseanne Cash in the NY Times magazine this weekend; they asked her how she ended up living in NYC, and her response was: You know that saying “We always thought she was kind of weird, but it turns out she’s just a New Yorker.” I can totally relate, and know you can too.

(and I shudder to think back on the dark years in Rochester!)

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger jdellelo said...

Do not let Place define you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home