X!ne's W0rld

My life as it happens. Moving from the Big City to south of the border.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

This is How It Works

Ok, today was a good example of how things frequently work down here. I came home to take a shower after having gotten up early to go get the blood test (I'm still struggling with low energy and light-headedness and manana finally came today for getting to the doctor.). I get in the shower and realize there's no hot water. I get out and check the boiler and it's not working. I check the stove and it works so it doesn't appear to be a gas issue. I ask Ana to help me check to see if I'm trying to light the pilot the right way and she gets it lit. But wisely I check it again before I get back into the shower a half hour later and it's out again. I call the landlord and he says he can come by at 1:30 to check it out. He comes by and determines that I'm out of gas and need to buy a new cylinder. He calls for me and they say someone can come in 1.5 hours. 2 hours later and no one has showed up with gas. (Fortunately in the meantime, Ana lets me use her shower.) I have an appointment at least 45 minutes away by bus and I have to leave. I decide to take a cab to get to my appt on time which costs $6 instead of the 45 cents it would cost to take the bus. The appointment is in a mall and it's not clear where I have to go so I have to laugh as I wander around not knowing where the hell I am or going - this is somewhat typical. I find the office only to discover the person has left the office to go to another town even though he told me he'd be there till 6pm. Huh?

Sometimes things actually work here and go according to plan. And they make you forget the ways things more often are here where usually it's best not to have a plan or at least not have any hope of sticking to it. I can't say this type of thing doesn't bother me anymore. But after nearly 3 months of it, I'm sort of resigned to the fact. Tomorrow is the last day before I leave. And I want to get about 6 things done. 6 things done in one day? Not very good planning on my part. Trying to get one thing done is usually a big enough goal and often that doesn't even get done. Manana it will happen. And the saying goes that manana doesn't necessarily mean "tomorrow"; it just means "not today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home