Vista
I taught my first class today at Vista Grill, so named for its view of Puerto Vallarta. I wish I had a photo because you just won’t believe it. It’s one of the most spectacular views in town and that will be my classroom.

I actually co-taught the class with Pam who has started her business down here to teach English to hotel and restaurant workers. She was looking for another teacher and we just happened to run into each other at Café du Soleil so the timing was perfect. Today’s class was more of an evaluation to see what level the students were at; I think maybe it was also her way to evaluate me as a teacher. We both thought the class went very well. The students were all very enthusiastic and attentive. It’s been surprising for me to see the difference between the students here and my students in NYC. My students were so much shyer and had less English capability. But in order to get a job in some of these more upscale restaurants here in Vallarta, it seems you have to have a certain level of education and language ability. I think there’s also more confidence in Mexicans living in their own country than in Mexican immigrants in NYC without papers. If all goes well, this job will be 4 hours a week on Tues and Thurs afternoons.
Still waiting to hear concrete details on the translation gig at the magazine. It’s been on and off but I got an email yesterday that they’re interested in hiring me and now we’re talking about salary. The guy I’m dealing with is also a runner and I’m trying to set up a time with him to go running on a path along a river not too far from here. I ran yesterday and it wiped me out but psychologically I feel great about it and I felt stronger today (although sore). I really want to get back to running.
And the biggest excitement of today is that my whale photos did get published in the paper. A little one appeared on the front page, and this one appeared on page 5. No pay but another tearsheet and an experience I’ll never forget…which is really what it’s all about.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home