X!ne's W0rld

My life as it happens. Moving from the Big City to south of the border.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Banking


Yesterday I opened up a checking and savings account here. It's exciting to me because it makes me feel a little more permanent here. And I'm surprised I was able to do it. Most banks require that you have an EfeM3 or EfeM2 work visa to open an account. But HSBC allows Americans with an existing US account to open an account down here. Don't ask me why -- I'm not asking questions.

I had gone to the bank previously to find out the documentation I needed. Passport, lease, paid utility bill, 2 personal references with address and phone number, $100. It all went suprisingly smoothly. It made me really happy that I had the foresight to open an HSBC account before I left NYC. Because I can withdraw money down here with no ATM fees. And now I have this account too.

I think it's also part of the "power of positive thinking" to have this account and hope that I will eventually be making enough money where it's actually useful. So far I've been dealing in a cash only environment, but I prefer to pay in checks and with an ATM card to have more of a record. But then I wonder if that's a good thing for legal reasons...

I haven't posted too much about my feelings of being here lately, but something has definitely changed in the past couple of months. I like Mexxico a lot. I like the more laid back lifestyle down here. I like that people are generally pleasant and very nice. I like that the sun shines every day. I don't have any desire to leave any time soon. I miss certain things in the States but right now, going back seems like a big hassle and a lot of money. My visa is good till mid-July and I'm looking into a work visa so then I don't have to leave every 6 months.

Other news is that my lawyer is about to file my lawsuit against my former employer (who shall remain nameless) this week. Wow, it's taken a year to go through the process and I've spent a bunch of money on the lawyer, but haven't gotten anything from the company. I just can't believe the company is so stupid to not want to settle this sooner. I mean, they obviously don't realize who they're dealing with if they think they can f*@% me over and I'll just forget about it. Honestly I want the whole thing to be over so I can fully move on. It's not something I think about unless someone else brings it up (or my lawyer contacts me,) but I still think it's like a clump of leaves in the stream of my life and once removed, my life will flow that much smoother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home