So Far, So Good
I was going to write about last night's entry back into the US via JayFK airport and title it "Fuck You, Welcome Home". Because that was the message I got from the airport staff. I noticed all the signs that used to just say "Immigration" have now added "and Border Protection". I guess living in Mexxico has gotten me sensitive about any use of the word "border" and makes me feel defensive. Then there are the signs all over about not using cellphones, even in the area where you retrieve your luggage. It used to be you could call people while waiting for luggage to come out, but not anymore. And signs banning photography; any ban on photography irks me.
Maybe the Immigration officer didn't like my response "Hanging out" when he asked what I was doing in Mexxico for so long. I just never know what to say. Working? Living life? What's the right answer? Not the one I provided, because he told me I had to go to another line which was a second line of questioning. While waiting for the second guy to question a Mexxican woman traveling with her young son, I got to witness the guy yelling at some woman to spend the $3 to rent a cart for her luggage (um, most airports don't charge for such things!) and when she responded she didn't have dollars, his irritated response was "Use your credit card!" Can someone who works in immigration and deals with foreigners on a daily basis really be so ignorant to think that everyone from another country would have a credit card? I related this story to the guy who's staying in my apartment cat sitting and he thinks it's not about ignorance but about intimidation. Anyway, I seemed to answer the questions satisfactorily for the second guy (skeptically: "You *like* living down there?") and finally he said "Welcome Home." Home? Is this home? Doesn't really feel like it anymore. But it's ok to be here for awhile.
Anyway, I slept well and got a call from the cat sitter telling me the cats were good, Chommie looked a little more perky (or "menos decaido" in Spanish) and had slept on his suitcase, and that Chester was in love with him. It really put my mind at ease.
I spent most of the afternoon and early evening shopping and was quite successful at Sketcher's and T@rget amongst other stores. Sandals, socks, health and beauty aids, cutting board, wallet, clothing, tote bag, trendy cap, etc. Then Fr@nkie picked me up and we went out for Thai food.
Weather is wonderful here. I hope the rain holds off for the wedding on Saturday. Tomorrow night I will hang out with my college roommate which I look forward to. And next Tues will head up to CT for a few days to see my family, including my new niece who I haven't even met yet. I'm really happy that my stress is down and I think I will be able to enjoy this trip. I'm a little scared to see how fast I can spend money here, but I'm trying to justify it by thinking I only get back to the US a few times a year and I would have had to spend at least $500 to bring the cats. I'm looking forward to the next 17 days. I think it's going to fly by.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home