X!ne's W0rld

My life as it happens. Moving from the Big City to south of the border.

Friday, July 04, 2008

K3y



I had to share this. I think it's well-done (and I'm all into multi-media presentations with photography these days). K3y is one of my favorite eNYC street musicians; I just love his unique voice.

I first met him when I was holding a critique of my work on the Antorcha project. I came up with the idea to put up a selection of my images in the hallway of my building and invite all my visually-oriented friends to come, take a look, and offer me feedback. I had drinks and appetizers and it turned into a little party. Remembering it now, it seems so cool and so quintessentially eNYC and so what the East Vi11age used to mean to be like.

Anyway, my friend Dean invited K3y. Even though he's a performer, he's an extremely shy person, and barely conversed with me that night. But we hit it off and dated briefly that last winter I spent in eNYC before I moved down to Mexxico. Definitely our strangest and most memorable night together came when he was playing in the subway and I was hanging out with him and a group of about 4 young guys started harassing him. They stole his tip money out of his case and threw one of his harmonicas into the subway tracks. One of the guys actually jumped onto the tracks and retrieved it. Some nice person called the cops and they ended up apprehending the guys 2 stations away in Union Square. We rode in the back of the patrol car over there and identified the guys and ended up spending a bunch of time in the underground station filing a police report. It was probably the most positive experience I ever had with the police in my life.

I haven't actually seen K3y in about 3 years but we keep in touch via phone and email from time to time. I still have a lot of admiration for him because he pursues his passion playing music and influenced me to pursue my dream/passion to move to Mexxico and be a photographer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home