X!ne's W0rld

My life as it happens. Moving from the Big City to south of the border.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Day One - So Far, So Good

I'm home in CT visiting my family. Sitting on the twin bed in the room I spent ages 3-18 living in. It's always a bit surreal. Pretty much everything has changed since I lived here back then, although there's still cork board up on one wall that I installed with my grandfather, and bits of the blue shag wall-to-wall carpet peek out from under the area rug that's a recent addition. The stranger thing is that some of my eNYC furniture is in here which really adds to the surreal feeling of 2 past lives coming together in the same place.

I went into what was my brother's old bedroom and just quickly looked at all the boxes stacked floor to ceiling on shelves along one wall. Just a portion of my possessions from my eNYC life. The rest occupies a wing of the attic and a Black and Decker storage shed in the backyard. It makes me uncomfortable seeing it all because it asks the question, "What are you going to do with all this stuff? How long do you plan on living down in Mexxico?" I just don't know...

As usual, I was very apprehensive coming up here. My mom and I have a great relationship by phone. We happily talk several times a week, sometimes for at least half an hour. But in person, things are often very different. The first night almost always goes well. The second day we spend shopping and often some tension starts to surface. Things often deteriorate on Day 3. So I purposely planned this trip to leave on Day 3. My feeling tonight is that I'm happy to be here, know the time will go too fast, and am considering extending my stay. But I think I need to keep things short and sweet. Better to leave wanting more than leave with bad feelings. And maybe I will come up again next week for another short visit.

2 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger Nervda said...

I think it was Ben Franklin who said, "Guests and fish both go bad after three days."

Then again, when I don't know who said something, I always guess Franklin.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger rebecca said...

It definitely was Franklin, and he's pretty much right on all his other axioms, so I'd have to say go with your gut (and Franklin's wisdom); you can always head back for a short visit next week.

And post some pictures of your nieces!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home