Getting Established

I just got back from teaching at Vista Grill. (This is the view!) Pam was there with me for the beginning of class and I was glad because I had a little "stage fright" at first, but once I got going and especially once she left, I felt fine and really enjoyed myself. I love teaching! It gives me such a high. I love all the students because they all have their own personalities and it's great to see them develop in the class. Today there was a student Santos who was really reticent about joining the class. At first he wouldn't even sit down at the table. But by the end of the class, he was actually speaking a little bit and I could see how physically his body relaxed as he became more relaxed.
I also just got a call from Miguel telling me that the editor of the daily English language paper wants to use my whale photos. I assume it's not for pay. It's a tough thing because I think I need to get established and make connections and be a little known before I can start asking for money. But I don't want to sell myself short. It's a constant struggle and debate within the profession to have people value our work. The more experienced people get upset with newcomers who are willing to give it away for free or at a cheaper price because it can devalue the profession in general. But newcomers are struggling to break in and prove themselves and are often willing to undervalue themselves in hopes that they'll receive more value in the future. I'm torn because at this point I'm adding to the undervaluation and expectation that people will give away photos for free. Both English newspapers here heavily rely on both writing and photos from volunteers.
I think that after a couple of more tear sheets, I'll have to draw the line. At that point I'll have something to show for my work and connections and a bit of a reputation as a good photographer.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home