X!ne's W0rld

My life as it happens. Moving from the Big City to south of the border.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Like the Weather

I guess my moods are like the weather in New England - constantly changing. Last time I blogged, I felt like I was at the end of my rope. (Hmm, interesting metaphor, especially in light of the recent hanging execution of Sadam Hussein which I won't mention further, at least for now.) On Sat afternoon, I went into the cafe and started venting to A. She was very supportive because she's been there too and knows full well about the difficulties and annoyances of living here. She encouraged me to get away if that's what I need and if I felt like I was done here, I should just move on. I think all of that freed me. I guess I just needed to know I'm not alone in how I feel.

That night I shot a wedding at the wedding hotel. It was great to be back there. The guys who work there are really nice (especially C. the bartender and U. the bartender/D
J) and L. the wedding coordinator is always so nice and friendly. (We're planning on meeting for coffee later this week and I hope we can become better friends.) The group was really fun and at first glance, the photos look like they came out well.

Yesterday I wasn't sure what I would do for NYE. My ex-neighbor had a plan to go to Ye1apa, the village down the coast accessible only by boat. I was on the fence between thinking it would be fun and worrying about what it would be like camping on the beach with no facilities and it being too chilly. Luckily she changed her plans last minute and planned to have dinner at a nearby restaurant that I've been wanting to try. (By the way, this is my neighbor A. who had the falling out with me several months ago. We seemed to have mended the fence although we've still yet to talk about the whole thing.) I met A. and a friend/former-colleague of hers from San Diego. I had a Mediterranean wrap which had hummus, feta cheese, and sundried tomatoes -- for a minute I forgot I was in Meaty Mexxico!




Afterwards we stopped by A's house. It's a really cute 3 story place that she fully renovated. From there we walked over to the Malecon and met up with M. who was working. He did a portrait of A's friend which turned out really well (as usual). In the middle of drawing, it turned midnight and there was a really long fireworks display. He stopped drawing and we all watched enraptured.




Once the portrait was done, A and her friend left to go dancing at a club. M and I went for a beer with a Venezuelan guy who had been hanging out with M all evening. Not sure what was attracting him to do that (at first I thought he might be gay because gay men love M but later he seemed like he might be hetero and maybe just looking for companionship) but he was nice enough. But I had a hard time understanding him between his foreign-to-me accent and speed that he spoke. Just when I felt I was really starting to understand people speaking Spanish...Mexican Spanish is one thing but when people are from another place, it becomes tough.

Anyway, it felt nice to have an NYE plan and it was nice to be with M. and hug for the new year. Today we spent mostly around the apartment. I made a nice lunch with some large dehydrated soy chunks I found in a little market. It came out well, even the rice! And then tonight we went to see Night at the Museum with Ben Stiller which was a lot of fun

I feel like 2007 is going to be a really good year. I don't know if it's something to do with the lucky number 7 or what. It just feels good and right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home