X!ne's W0rld

My life as it happens. Moving from the Big City to south of the border.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Oh No, I've Become a Cat Lady


I've fallen into the precipice of being a cat lady. I was so gracefully balancing on the tightrope of being just a dedicated cat owner. Then the neighborhood strays started showing up at my door.

First it was Th1rd Cat who I took to the vet to be neutered and is now named Chuy. I still don't consider him my cat, but I feed him whenever he comes around. Not long after I got back, he showed up with a little tiger kitten. Chuyito (son of Chuy) is now in a cat carrier awaiting a trip to the vet for worm medication (he has terrible roundworms that are making him really sick...all over my apartment). He's been sleeping under my bed every night for weeks even though he's basically feral. And then in the past week, Chuyito's little brother/sister has been tagging along.

I don't really want to be involved with cat rescue. It's a never ending job in any country, but especially here where people don't really have cats as pets and semi-tolerate them being around to get rid of mice. It's hard enough to get people to spay and neuter in the States, so the challenge is even greater here. It's time-consuming, expensive, and stressful and nothing makes a 40 year old woman less attractive than too many cats. When I told my friend M. about having 2 more cats I'm caring for, he rolled his eyes and quickly said, "You need a boyfriend. Better yet, you need a husband."

Yet I find myself thinking that things happen for a reason. I need to treat this like anything else. It's happening and right now it's my path and I shouldn't fight it. I need to enjoy it and learn from it.

Anyone want to adopt a cat?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home