Moving On
I’m feeling a bit excited at the thought of moving to Pl@ya del C@rmen. Since I’ve been back in Va11arta, I’ve spoken to 3 people who’ve lived there. One is my friend @bner who’s from there and is a bartender here. He gushed about it and says maybe in a year he’d even consider moving back. Another guy lived over in Pl@ya, C@ncun, and Is1a Mujeres for about 5 years. Loved it but got freaked out by a hurricane when he was living on Is1a Mujeres and came over here. But he also gushed. Another one is my old neighbor with the massage studio upstairs from where I was living. She lived there 20 years ago and says the rate of development was too much and she wouldn’t go back for that reason. She’s also from the Alps and prefers the mountains over here. But still seemed pretty positive about the place. And since my frame of reference is only the present and I’m sort of used to the out of control and unplanned development here in Va11arta, I think even if it did bother me eventually, it would take awhile.
I’m in no rush to move. I have jobs booked here through May so I probably wouldn’t plan to move before then. And I think it warrants a trip back there in high season to see how busy it gets and how it feels. I was surprised by the number of tourists in low season so it’s possible that high season would feel too crowded.
I’m going to continue talking to people, join the online forums, update my website to mention the place and see if I can book a job or two over there and just see how it goes.
It’s sort of bittersweet to realize that I could easily move because I don’t have deep roots or friendships here. It’s not like I don’t like it here. But I’ve never loved the place. But being over there and in the water at Tu1um, at the ruins in Ch1chen Itz@ and Cob@, eating great food wherever I went (I had a veggie burger in a little nothing town and it was only $2.50), and thinking about all the other cool things to see in that part of the country that I didn’t have time for. And gee, I’ve be closer to Be1ize, Guatemala and Chi@pas.
I’ve already updated my list of things to do and have mapped out little trips around this part of the country to do before I leave. Some places I’ve been meaning to visit that maybe if I know my days are numbered, I’ll actually visit. I also wrote up a Pro and Con list and really the only “Cons” are that moving is no fun, it’s flat over there, and hurricanes are a bigger threat. Although because they’ve suffered such damage over there in the past several years, they seem more prepared with a warning system on the radio. I wouldn’t live near the beach anyway because it freaks me out too much to be near the water.
We shall see. This means that if you haven't visited me already (oh, that would be all of you except my cousins -- thanks ML and Di!), plan to do it before too long. Even though I think I might prefer to live over there, it can't compete with this part of the country in terms of the beauty of the nearby mountains and rivers and rugged coastline. And strangely Va11arta and the surrounding area is way more Mexxican so if you want to see some of real Mexxico, it's more here than over there.
Here are just a few shots from the trip.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home