After the Rain
Last night I photographed a wedding and we got an incredible rain. Amazing how good both of those things make me feel. Today it's still a bit wet out so all the wonderful plants in my yard are glistening and the air feels cooler and fresher. And I have a peaceful afterglow and mellowness that I get the day after a wedding. Chom Chom, Chester and I sat on the patio this morning just looking out at our little garden world and enjoying life.
2 days ago I got an unexpected called from A. the other photographer I know that works at the wedding hotel. He asked if I was free Saturday for a last minute wedding at a local restaurant. I welcomed this call for several reasons. It felt good to have a local photographer call me to refer business to me. I had nothing booked so a little extra unexpected money is always welcome. And this particular restaurant has a reputation of being one of the most spectacular in the whole area (some would say the most spectacular) and I have another wedding booked there in a week and a half so this would be a good trial run.
But it started raining yesterday afternoon. Darn, my luck for not having any rain during any wedding I shot all during the rainy season seemed to running out. But by the time I was on my way, it seemed to be clearing up. I got there slightly early, met with the groom, and took a walk around the place. Pretty cool.
The bride was 1/2 hour late and by that time the ceremony was supposed to start, but we decided it was better to shoot some photos since it wasn't raining but looked like it might at any second. It went fine but I felt once again that I'd like to be more comfortable posing the B&G in more interesting poses. Definitely something to work on. Oh, and I need to learn how to explain "dipping" the bride in Spanish! This was actually my first wedding with a couple from Mexico. Almost all of my communication with them and their family and friends was in Spanish. Still a challenge.
Anyway, I was hired to shoot for 2 hours only, but by that time, they hadn't cut the cake. I asked the groom what I should do and he asked if I wouldn't mind sticking around a little longer. The thing is with my obsessive nature, I really couldn't force myself to leave before the shooting was complete even if I wasn't getting paid. I feel like I need to do a complete job and I also feel a responsibility to a couple so their day is fully captured. And once the groom said I could sit and have dinner with them, I was hooked (I also can't resist a free meal, especially to try something different from a big restaurant.)
Unfortunately, it started pouring and they had to move everyone inside which for some reason took at least an hour. When I said I needed to leave after dinner and some dancing, the groom said they'd be playing just one more song before cutting the cake. This turned into about 5 more songs. But I stayed. And the bouquet and garter tosses were really fun and I think I got some great shots.
So I ended up being there an extra 3 hours! But weddings are still so fun for me that even though I'm working hard, I get such a rush and I just love being there. I still get teary when I see a couple dance and hold each other and look at each other with such profound love. I love to see what everyone wears and the little variations on the traditions. And Mexican weddings are truly the best. This was the first one I've shot with everyone from Mexico, but I've shot others where the B&G's family are from here or else maybe one of them were born here. It sounds almost cliche, but there's such warmth and love and joy with Mexican people that just doesn't exist in the same way in most of American culture. Even something as simple as the bouquet toss which has become a cliche and a groan with many younger American couples is an exciting and fun part of a Mexican wedding. And when I'm there photographing it, I feel so alive and grateful that I'm here.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home