Home Again
Glass full: I lasted almost 2 weeks in CT.
Glass empty: I didn't even last 2 weeks in CT.
However you look at it, on Saturday afternoon, I got on a train (thanks to an old friend/ex N. driving me and helping me out) with most of my stuff and the cats and came back to NYC to stay for at least the month of August with my friend S. on 129th Street. And thanks to him for helping me get all my stuff from the train station to the apartment.
Now that I'm paying rent, I have more pressure to find work here. But today I gave myself some slack and decided it was more important for me to shop a little for things to make me feel more settled here. Like it or not, I cannot function properly unless I feel somewhat settled in a place. Most important has been the necessities for the cats. Today I got a scratching post and a food dish as well as some crappy Fri$kies canned food (I at least give them quality dry food). I wanted to buy a bed but Petc0 is too damned expensive. I saw a bed at one of my old favorite cheap stores on 14th Street yesterday but it wasn't exactly what I wanted so I thought I'd wait and check out Petc0. But damn, $30 for a bed? I'll pass.
Last night I went to move one of my suitcases and a large waterbug scurried out and disappeared into the wall. Those things taunt me wherever I go. I think it's a sign I'm in a place that I like if there are large waterbugs freaking me out. So last night I slept on the couch. Tonight I've moved the air mattress onto the desk in the bedroom and am sleeping up high. I know technically the bug can crawl up here, but there's a false sense of security that since I'm up higher, it's less likely to get up here.
Anyway, my first evening back I went out for dinner with D. who I hadn't seen in about 2 years. He was the captain for the relay run that I photographed in Mexxico nearly 3 years ago. I was happy to still feel a bond with him, a sense of closeness and comfort that goes beyond the actual time we've spent together. Sometimes you just have that with a person; it's not something you can force. He grew up on the Upper West Side and spent a lot of time in Central Park. So after dinner we went to the park. Normally I'd be afraid to do it, but I felt secure with him. We walked to the reservoir and were amazed to find this sight:

It was one of the most beautiful scenes I'd ever seen. And imagine in all my years in NYC, I'd never been to there at night to see it before. A runner ran up to where we were standing and paused and said "Is there anything more romantic than this?"
ENYC is still the place I love the most.

1 Comments:
Hey Xine
I am glad you got to experience the park at night. When training for the marathon I did allot of runs after sunset, and it is the most beautiful time. I always thought about all the people who live in NYC but never experience this beauty.
Post a Comment
<< Home