Hope
I'm really excited about a few things. Most importantly is that I think I might have finally found myself an editor. I met with my friend L0rna before a couple of times to discuss the possibility. Now that she's got a copy of the software I use for editing (Lightr00m) and she's been talking about wanting to edit for multiple photographers, things have started falling into place.
Today she came over and worked for awhile. I don't know if she's looking at things the same way, but I figure even if things don't ultimately work out with us working together, we'll both learn a lot from the process and know how we want to work it with someone else. I hope it works out with us and I can rely on having her as an editor. It was cool to have someone working in the same room with me. It reminded me of the days working in offices and how much I crave the companionship, camaraderie, and structure. And I realized that just by being around another person working, I become more focused. The phone rang twice and if it had just been me working, I might have stopped what I was doing and chatted awhile. I took one call and explained I was busy but would call back later. The other one I let go to voicemail. At one point I took a break to make a licuado but I was very aware that I was taking the break from work.
It was great having someone to talk to in general about photography, but it was nice also to have her looking at my work and analyzing it. She's good at critiquing (although she may be a little soft) and saying what she likes or doesn't like about a photo. I'm so harsh on myself so that editing for me is usually a process of beating myself up for being a shitty photographer as I discover each minor imperfection in each photo. It usually goes on for hours and days because with a full length wedding, I normally have at least 1000 photos to look through.
I feel like having an editor is going to completely change my life and my business. I often almost dread taking on new work because of the odious editing process. But now I feel like a huge weight might be taken off my body. It really is a freeing feeling to think that I can be less stressed about editing and concentrate more on other things like marketing or just plain anything else!
Another positive thing occurred today by getting a print made at C0stc0. It's nice to have an option of a decent place to get a print made. I've struggled with labs here but was really pleased with the print I got done today. It's an enlargement of a family photo that I want to use as a sample and donate a portrait session to the local library's annual auction. It's a good experience to do it and maybe it will get me some publicity/referrals too. I'm almost ashamed to say it's the first time seeing my professional work enlarged and printed. And you know what? It looks really nice! It also got me thinking how it would be nice to enlarge more of my work and have it framed and displayed in the apartment. My friend P1lar (the art curator from LA) actually just asked/said, "Why don't you have any of your photos up?" when she came over recently. So I have to thank her for encouraging that too.
I've been thinking more about the convention coming up in Vega$ and L0rna might also be up for cat sitting (she did it once before and she's the only one I've ever really trusted) while I'm away. It's coming up quickly and starts around Valentine's Day. I can't be there for the whole thing because I have a wedding booked back here on the 19th so really I should be back on the 17th to allow plenty of time to be ready for that. But I think even if I can go for a few days it will be worth it.
Anyway, as I thought about all of this and tomorrow's inauguration (and the party my friend $eth is throwing for it that starts in 8 hours!), I realized I'm feeling more positive and hopeful again. I had a really good time shooting a wedding on Saturday and I feel like since then, my depression has lifted.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home